Tuesday, April 12, 2016

No More War Pigs Have the Power

In two weeks I will run my...I don't know eighth or ninth half marathon. You know, I want an exact number. Stand by while I tally it up.

Free Press
Free Press
Detroit Women's Half
Cocoa Classic
Running through the Vines
Martian Half Marathon
Detroit Women's Half
Monroe Half

Look at that, I was right. I will be running my ninth half marathon. I ran one marathon six years ago, hated every second of it, and swore I would never look back.

But, by the end of this year, barring any injury,  I will have run ten half marathons (I am signed up for the Chicago Half in September). Seems to me like that's a mighty fine time to make a second go at full marathon running.

There are some differences between runner Meg six years ago and now. First, about thirty pounds. And then there's the two little boys who take up a big chunk of my life. But, I think I can manage the training. I am working on getting a friend to run it with me so we can do our long runs together. Plus, I am way more comfortable with the Galloway method which I have used for every race since the Detroit Women's Half my first time around.

OK, so I've thought about it. Now to pick a race. I want to travel somewhere. I want it to be slow runner friendly. I want there to be crowd support. I want it to be in the spring because I do my best training during the winter months. After checking out the available ones, I think I might run the Flying Pig Marathon in Cincinnati. This year it is on May 1, so next year I am assuming it will be around that time.

Anyone run that race? Hear anything about it? Want to run with me? Come on, you know you want to! Reviews say it's a great one for newbies. A little hilly, but from the course elevation chart it looks like the second half of the course is downhill so woo hoo to that.

3 comments:

  1. I've heard amazing things about the Pig! I'll do it with you! I'm not doing any fulls this year, so maybe, just maybe I'll do another one next year. Let's do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to run it with you!

    But then again, I don't!! Lol!!

    I'm excited for you!!!!

    ReplyDelete