Friday, May 13, 2016

But the Colorado Rocky Mountain High

For some reason I started reading Flying Pig Marathon recaps and I freaked out about the hills. Guys, I live in Michigan which is essentially as flat as a damn pancake. There are some hilly-ish areas around here, but not many. Training on hills is going to be hard, mostly because I will have to drive a distance to get anywhere with hills.

Alright.

But, I have people. I have my Moms Run This Town area chapter. On our Facebook group one member posted a link to this article:

Three Hill Workouts for the Treadmill

I am going to go with the Mindfully Long Hill Workout which sounds more like what I need to prepare myself:

  • Warm up by walking for 2 minutes.
  • Run easy for 8 minutes.
  • Repeat 3 times: Run one mile at a 3 percent incline at an easy effort in the Yellow Zone, or Zone 2 for heart rate. After each mile, run 2 minutes at 0 percent incline, at a faster, but controlled Orange Zone (or Zone 3 heart rate) effort to simulate the speed of running downhill. Then, run one minute easy (Yellow Zone) at 0 percent before moving on to the next rep.
  • Run easy for 5 minutes.
  • Cool down by walking for 2 minutes.

The women in my Lovely Ladies group have all joined together to train hills with me. We're going to do squats and wall sits and lunges and all the fun things a runner needs to do to get her ass over some hills. Speaking of asses, if after this training you can't bounce a quarter off of mine I will be sorely disappointed.

2 comments:

  1. I hate hills! KY is fairly hilly, but I know I don't do nearly enough training on them. You'll totally be ready for those hills when the day comes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a tough hill workout! It'll definitely get you ready and we'll be with you to pull you along.

    ReplyDelete