Thursday, April 20, 2017

Slow Down, You Crazy Child

Got in another mile for my streak.

I slept through my alarm this morning which means I will be running my regularly scheduled training run after rehearsal. Just like I think "what kind of idiot runs 20 miles for fun?", I often think "what kind of idiot goes for a run at 10PM?". Such is life.

This weekend I am running in a 10K race for my training run. I have to tell myself (repeatedly) this is a training run. There is no reason, whatsoever, I should go out and run this thing fast. First, I haven't really trained for speed AT ALL. Second, I have a marathon two weeks from the race. I want my legs to be fresh as happy little daisies for that bullshit.

I have participated in this particular race in a variety of ways. I volunteered once. I ran the half marathon. This time I run the 10K. If you're local, this is the Martian Marathon series of races. I think they do a pretty good job. And the road we run on has a couple of hills. These legs were MADE for hills.

That's my mantra. Have I mentioned this at all? The friend I run with for my long runs, B, has done multiple marathons. He does the Galloway method and told me Galloway recommends coming up with a mantra for hills and a mantra to get through races. When it gets super tough, you have to visualize your mantra. For hills, I have come up with: These legs were made for hills.

As for the rest of the race, my mantra is going to be simply: YOU GOT THIS. Remember all those miles of training? YOU GOT THIS! Remember all the times you could have slept in and instead went out for a run? YOU GOT THIS! Remember the wet runs, the cold runs, the hot runs, the runs on the treadmill with two little boys dancing around you and asking you for cookies and snacks and "when are you gonna be done, Mama"? YOU GOT THIS!

I also know I want to borrow a page from Steph's book and dedicate the miles to different people. When I have that list I will share it. I'm gonna make sure the LLL Support Crew out on the course knows it, too. So if at mile 19 I am ready to cry someone can shout, "This one is for ____!"and it will--hopefully--boost my spirits.

3 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see those "made for hills" legs crush this marathon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mantras are key. :) Mine was "suck it lupus" for my first post-lupus race.

    ReplyDelete