Monday, June 26, 2017

Smoke on the Water

I woke up this morning to go swimming and checked the temp before I got ready. It was not warm. I waffled. In fact, I actually laid back down in my bed and pulled the covers up. Not today, I thought. Today is not my day to swim. 

I pulled the covers up to my chin.

And then...

Perhaps it was knowing I have a friend who busts her ass on the tennis court in ridiculous heat and humidity. And another one who gets home from work and kills her strength workouts. And yet another one, who attempts new workouts all the time, even though she is afraid she will trip or flat out not be able to do it, but still she tries. And yet another friend who walks for miles because she can't run due to an injury, yet she gets out and moves. And another friend who runs before sunrise in the Michigan heat AND the Michigan cold.

If these awesome women can do it, my sneaky little brain said, then by god, Meg, your lazy ass can get out of bed and swim.

I'm glad I have inspirational friends, but man, I would have liked to sleep in a little bit more today. Y'all are screwing with my rest!

In case you think I am kidding about the temps:
What kind of a-hole gets up at 5:45 to swim OUTDOORS in those temps?!?

This one, I guess.

We had a busy weekend, which is why I was overtired and not ready for swimming or getting my kids ready for daycare this morning. A hectic Monday morning for sure!

Over the weekend I ran in the annual city race to support our local fireworks. This was the first year the boys ran the mile race. One of them took a fall a quarter mile in, so we walked the rest of the mile, but they had fun.

Here they are, with their cousin, stretching before the run:
Gotta stay limber!

The 5K was fun. I finished in 38 minutes. For not training for speed at all, and walking a mile before the race, I was happy with it.

I was off by a week, so this week I officially start my half marathon training. I think I'll be on the treadmill a lot for this one, gotta love training for a fall run during the summer! Since I once ran 17 miles on the treadmill, this will be nothing!
Hope you had an awesome weekend. Let's kick this last week of June's butt!

3 comments:

  1. I am so proud of you for doing this swim! There is no way in HADES that I would so you in turn just made yourself into one of those "friends who gets up and swims in 54º weather". Kudos to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah it is hard having such awesome friends to keep up with...thanks for being one for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm jealous of your temps in general but you're right - swimming in that weather is nuts. :)

    ReplyDelete