Tuesday, June 27, 2017

You Won't Get No Dessert 'Till You Clean Off Your Plate, So Eat It

Try Two New Recipes This Week
Recipe #1

Last night I made Skillet Chicken and Broccoli Tot Pie from Skinnytaste. I'm going to let you in on a little secret, I loathe cooking. I hate cutting things up, I hate multiple step recipes, I hate sweating vegetables. The list goes on and on.

Thankfully, I have a husband who LIKES cooking. He did a lot of the prep for this, which explains why the vegetables look all neat. My husband has honestly said to me, "I can't watch you chop things, I don't want to witness you cutting off a finger." It's not that I'm bad at it, exactly. It's that I have no technique and no desire to develop one.

He chops, I cook it. It saves us hospital bills time and arguments.

It was a cool evening last night, which meant turning the oven on wasn't going to overheat our entire house.  While the oven preheated I cooked the veggies in our cast iron skillet. Another secret, I am a delicate flower have weak wrists and honestly, cannot lift the cast iron skillet so my husband has to do it for me.
The recipe was easy to follow, as most of hers are. Once the onions were translucent, I added flour then chicken stock. Cooked that for a bit and added the rest of the ingredients (chicken, broccoli, herbs). Once that was cooked down, I added the broccoli tots on top and into the oven it went.
It came out looking like this:
This was marked down as four servings, which made it easy to divvy up. I took my quarter of the "pie" and gave my husband his.
I am a big fan of using small plates. It really does trick your brain into thinking you are eating more. Not that I needed it. I finished this off and was pleasantly full. Next time, I might add a salad with this, just to have a fresher element.

It tasted delicious, a lot like a chicken pot pie. My only complaint is the Green Giant Broccoli Tots are hella expensive. I'll keep an eye out for sales, but might not make this again until I can find them cheaper. My husband really liked it. My kids did not eat it, but that's because I started cooking it late, not because they didn't like it.

Overall, I would absolutely make this again and recommend it. Especially if you have a coupon for the broccoli tots!

3 comments:

  1. I might would actually try that! I like broccoli when cooked but only in small things like broccoli casseroles and such. I'd give this a try though! (Minus the celery)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I seriously love this post!!! I love that you hate to cook yet you made this yummy meal for your family and shared the process with us. It didn't grab me at first because I've never thought to try the veggie tots, but when you said it is like chicken pot pie you got my attention. Open up your mouth and feed it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We'll have to try this one! I don't know that Oliver would eat it as he's weirdly anti-tater tot, but we would and I'm not above feeding the kid PB&J so I can eat what I want. :)

    ReplyDelete