Tuesday, June 20, 2017

You'll Never Say Hello to You

I was so nervous about starting this organized swim thing that I woke up an hour before my alarm and tossed and turned until finally I gave in and got up.

I wasn't prepped for it to be cool this morning. I had to dig out a sweatshirt from my winter clothes bin. I wore that and some sweatpants capris over my swimsuit and drove to the pool. It seemed silly to drive, I live about a half mile away, but I wasn't sure what my timing would be like after the swim. On normal days, I need to leave my house by 7:15 to make it to work on time and the swim ended at 7.
The swim started yesterday, but I had to take my new dog to the vet, so I wasn't able to make it. I felt like everyone knew each other and I was getting that super nervous "what the hell am I doing here?!?" kind of feeling. Someone jumped in and started setting up the lanes, more people showed up (about thirty in all) and people got into the pool. I still had no clue what to do, saw no sign of a coach anywhere. As an introvert, this was the part I dreaded most. It's why I don't usually try new things, especially organized group events. I hate not KNOWING. People were setting down their water bottles at the end of lanes and I could see they all had lanes picked out. At first, I thought it was just people swimming with their friends, but then I recognized an order to the madness. Faster swimmers started in Lane 1, then the lanes got progressively slower until Lane 8.

 I ended up in what my mom and I lovingly call the Turtle Lane (aka Lane 8). This isn't meant to be mean AT ALL, but I could tell there were swimmers there who were SWIMMERS and there to do sprints and drills, etc. Shoot, when I was in prime swim team shape I was never that fast. So, I stuck to the slow lane and I am super glad I did. 

Once we were swimming I felt much more comfortable. The coach was very nice and he adjusted workouts for our lane which was great. I never felt like I couldn't do anything. I ended up with a solid swim, more than I would have done if I were swimming laps on my own. I ended up leaving at 6:50 because I had to get home and get ready. 

I'm glad I stepped outside my comfort zone and joined. Class runs four days a week until August. I'm looking forward to getting my butt kicked for the next month and a half.

Now if someone could help me lift my coffee cup up to my lips, that would be great.

4 comments:

  1. Bourbon helps with soreness. Or so I've heard.

    Way to get out of that comfort zone! Proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very impressive...so excited for you to have this opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That last line made me snort. ;) I'm SO impressed that you do this! What great exercise! Can't wait to hear more about it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate that feeling of being the only one who doesn't know what is going on. :( Good for you for sticking it out!

    ReplyDelete