Wednesday, July 5, 2017

There's Still Dinner on My Dinner Jacket

One of my goals last week was to try two new recipes. I made one early on in the week and saved the other one for Saturday. The recipe involved the spiralizer, and it's always easier to do slightly more complicated recipes when I have time and I'm not starving.

I chose Spiralized Turnip and Potatoes Au Gratin from Skinnytaste.

First up, spiralizing turnips and potatoes.
I couldn't spiralize my carrots, so I grated them.

Then I steeped some thyme in my milk. I was supposed to use half and half and skim milk, but I only had whole milk, which I think balances out.
Next up, sauteing my onions, garlic, and adding in the ground turkey.
The I combined everything and cooked it in the oven for an hour.
Fun fact, my husband did the grocery shopping for this and couldn't find gruyere cheese that didn't cost an arm and a leg so I went with the shredded mozzarella we had in the fridge.

I didn't take an after picture. The recipe serves six, so I divvied it up and chowed down. It was really good! I added some cut up veggies for a side, to get that bite of freshness and really enjoyed it. In fact, I liked it so much I had some for my post-run breakfast the next day. I poached an egg and had that on top for some added protein. I highly recommend this one if you've got a spiralizer!

Now to come up with two to make this week. Hmm...

Even with the holiday, I had a pretty active weekend. I ran on Saturday and Sunday, I swam on Monday, and I ran on Tuesday. This half marathon training plan seems to be working out. My long run on Sunday was interesting. My husband had a tee time, so I ran as much as I could outside, then did the last mile on the treadmill.
Getting on that treadmill for one more mile wasn't easy, let me tell you.

I am loving my early morning swimming. Monday was a true test. I didn't have to work on Monday, so getting up at 5:45 to go swim when I could have slept for another hour (if not more!) was tough. It was funny, there were actually less people at our swim today than there were at the swim on Monday. I think people celebrated a little too hard last night.

Hope you had a great holiday. Here's to kicking some July butt!

3 comments:

  1. Wonderful week for sure! Glad you had such an active weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man. You got me so pumped up for that recipe and then...no "after" pic!? C'mon, man!! ;)

    I need to get a spiralizer. Maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've just started using my spiralizer more often and it's awesome! I had it for literally years before I tried it, which was such a waste!

    ReplyDelete